The difference between a fan is a follower is simple. Fans are interactive, loyal, take time to get to know you, and trust what you are telling them. Followers are simply what the word says; they follow you because they like your pictures and read some of your posts but leave it at that. Every single person is a follower and a fan. I know that I am a huge fan of certain bloggers like Something Devine, Shanndelier, The Daily Tay and many others but I’m a just a simple follower for hundreds of other people. These people may range from old high school friends to bloggers to celebrities.
1. Rely on the golden rule! >>> If you want interaction you need to interact back. There is nothing better than getting a comment on your blog post so imagine how they would feel if you replied back.
2. Make it personal>>> Don’t be generic in your responses. Respond to what they are saying as if you were talking in person. You can also encourage them to add you on Snapchat to see a different less formal view of yourself. Build relationships with them because they want one with you! You can also ask your fans to submit questions for a Q&A session so that you are answering the questions they want to know.
3. Relate and talk to them>>> Figure out what kind of audience you have and appeal to them by discussing topics they can relate to. Also, don’t be afraid to mention your readers in your posts! If someone gave you a suggestion for a post mention them in your intro and give them credit. Or come up with a fun hashtag for your readers to use on Instagram and Twitter if they want to have a chat with you. A great example of this is Us the Duo. They have a hashtag that is #usthefamily which allows them to make their followers feel like they are part of the group and can easily reach out to them and connect with other fans.
4. Show appreciation>>> This is so important and can be so simple. Every once in a while do an appreciation post thanking your followers, friends, and family for being supportive and sticking around. It shows you know they are there and are wanting them to stick around.
5. Give back>>> What better way to reward your followers than with a nice giveaway! Giveaways are great because it encourages people, who already love your stuff, to reach out to others they think will love it as well. Plus it again shows how much you appreciate them and want them to benefit as much as you do from blogging.